Fort Collins, Colorado, is a charming city known for its beautiful scenery, lively culture, and rich history. It is also home to several ghost stories and tall tales that have been passed down through generations of residents. In this blog post, we will explore some of the most famous ghost stories and tall tales in Fort Collins.
- The Ghost of Emily: The story of the ghost of Emily is one of Fort Collins’ most famous ghost stories. Emily was a young woman who died in a fire in the 1880s. Her ghost is said to haunt the historic Avery House, where she lived with her family. Visitors have reported seeing her ghostly apparition and feeling a cold breeze pass through the room.
- The Tall Tale of Uncle Fossil: Uncle Fossil is a legendary character in Fort Collins’ history. He was a trapper who lived in the area in the early 1800s and was known for his eccentric behavior. According to the tall tale, Uncle Fossil would often wear a hat made of beaver skin and carry a cane made of a giant elk horn. He was said to be able to communicate with animals and had a pet skunk named Stinky.
- The Ghost of the Aggie Theatre: The Aggie Theatre is a popular music venue in Fort Collins that is rumored to be haunted. Legend has it that a young woman died in the building in the 1940s and her ghost still haunts the venue. Visitors have reported seeing her ghostly apparition and feeling cold spots in certain areas of the building.
- The Tall Tale of Colorado’s Only Tsunami: According to a popular tall tale in Fort Collins, the city once experienced Colorado’s only tsunami. Legend has it that a massive boulder rolled down the mountains and created a wave that flooded the city. While there is no evidence to support this story, it has become a popular part of Fort Collins’ folklore.
- The Ghost of the White Lady: The White Lady is a ghost that is said to haunt the historic Lindenmeier Lake Lodge. According to legend, the White Lady was a bride who drowned in the lake on her wedding day. Her ghost is said to roam the lodge, and visitors have reported seeing her ghostly apparition and hearing her ghostly screams.
In conclusion, Fort Collins, Colorado, is a city with a rich history and folklore. From the ghost of Emily to the tall tale of Uncle Fossil, these stories have been passed down through generations of residents and continue to intrigue and entertain visitors to this day. Whether you believe in these ghost stories and tall tales or not, they are a fascinating part of Fort Collins’ unique culture and history.